The Quality Matters (QM) Program is an internationally recognized, faculty-centered,
peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components.
The Quality Matters Rubric has become the most widely used set of standards for the
design of online and blended courses at the college level. Today, more than 1000 colleges
and universities subscribe to the non-profit Quality Matters Program. (Source: www.qualitymatters.org)
Since 2009, Kenai Peninsula College has used the QM Program to guarantee quality education
for its eLearners. KPC is now part of the Alaska Statewide QM Consortium through UAA. UAA and KPC collaborate to offer Quality Matters professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
We expect to hold face-to-face IYOC workshops in August or September. And an additional
online IYOC that will run from the end of October through mid-November. More details
will be available as we have them.
The next Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) course will be held Spring 2020.
KPC was awarded a "QM Making a Difference for Students” award in 2013 from the national
Quality Matters organization.
"Kenai Peninsula College is recognized for infusing QM through their Title III Grant,
expanding quality online learning opportunities to underserved populations, and making
a commitment to continue QM after the grant ends."
Quality Matters for the faculty and staff at KPC
- 70 individuals trained on the rubric tool and review process
- 6 certified Peer Reviewers
- 1 certified Master Reviewer
- 1 QM Coordinator
21 KPC courses have successfully completed formal peer reviews
- MATH 105: Intermediate Algebra with Tammy Farrell certified April 11, 2017
- COMM 111: Fundamentals of Oral Communication with Andrea Anderson certified April 10, 2017
- MATH 252: Calculus II with Clair Kochis certified April 10, 2017
- MATH 251: Calculus I with Clair Kochis certified March 10, 2017
- THR 111: Introduction to Theater with Lynne Roff certified February 24, 2017
- HUMS 211: Introduction to Humanities with Lynne Roff certified February 22, 2017
- ENG 111: Introduction to Composition with Scott Downing certified June 6, 2016
- ENG 202: Masterpieces of World Literature II with Barbara Christian certified April 8, 2016
- CHEM 103: Survey of Chemistry with Susan Mircovich certified Dec 19, 2015
- CHEM 104: Intro to Organic and Biochemistry with Susan Mircovich certified Nov 18, 2015
- COMM 111: Fundamentals of Oral Communication with Janice High certified May 27, 2015
- PRT 280: with Industrial Petrochemical Process with Jeff Laube certified May 15, 2015
- BA 131: Personal Finance with Steve Horn certified Dec 23, 2014
- COMM 237: Interpersonal Communication with Michelle Waclawski certified March 20, 2014
- BA 260: Marketing Practices with Steve Horn certified Dec 5, 2013
- BA 231: Fundamentals of Supervision with Steve Horn certified Oct 12, 2013
- BA 151: Introduction to Business with Steve Horn certified May 21, 2013
- MATH 107: College Algebra with Clair Kochis certified March 20, 2013
- PRT 250: Process Troubleshooting with Jeff Laube certified Oct 10, 2012
- PRT 130: Process Technology I: Equipment with Jeff Laube certified May 7, 2012
- PRT 101: Introduction to Process Technology with Jeff Laube certified July 29, 2011
2 KPC courses have completed re-certification (5-year re-review)
- PRT 130: Process Technology I: Equipment with Jeff Laube recertified April 3, 2017
- PRT 101: Introduction to Process Technology with Jeff Laube re-certified April 20, 2016
1 KPC course currently in review:
- MATH 121: College Algebra for Managerial and Social Sciences with Tammy Farrell
If you are a faculty member who would like to have one of your developed courses undergo
the peer review process, contact KPC's QM Coordinator, Jennifer Pedersen at (907) 262-0242.